A nutritionist is a health professional who specializes in matters of food and nutrients and how they impact health and wellness. A knowledgeable nutritionist can give you personalized advice and counseling in the following areas:
- Wellness Nutrition - A nutritionist will look at the results of blood tests that your doctor has taken to analyze your current nutrition levels and determine how to best help you be healthy and fit. After interviewing you on your usual food choices and diet, he or she can advise you on the composition of your current food choices and tell you which foods would be better to improve your health and reach your fitness goals.
- Effective Weight Gain or Loss Programs - A nutritionist can evaluate your body composition, daily exercise routine, and eating habits, and design an effective program for you to gain or lose weight. A personalized weight control program will take into consideration the proteins, carbohydrates, fibers, and fats in your current diet and teach you how to change and balance them to achieve your optimum weight.
- Nutritional Supplements - Vitamins, minerals, herbs, botanicals, amino acids, and enzymes were originally obtained by eating a nutritious balance of natural foods. That is no longer true in today's world. A nutritionist will examine your current daily diet and recommend supplements in personalized dosages that can balance your nutritional needs.
- Physical Fitness and Sports Nutrition - A nutritionist will ask you about your current exercise routine and then design a program that is appropriate for you and any health conditions you may have. He or she may refer you to a physical therapist to analyze your physical movements, capabilities, and limitations to help improve your mobility, function, and quality of life.
- Management of Chronic Diseases and Health Conditions - Many people have food allergies, food sensitivities and food intolerances that are a function of chronic health conditions or disease. A nutritionist can instruct you about specific foods to eat and those to avoid, how to read food ingredients labels, and which healthy substitutions you can make in your daily diet.
Nutrition has a great impact on overall health and chronic conditions and diseases. If you would like to know how you can become healthier, feel better, and prevent or treat chronic illness and disease, ask your doctor for a referral to a nutritionist. A good nutritionist can design a personalized nutrition program to attain your health goals through your daily food choices. With the care and advice of your doctor, nutritionist, and physical therapist, you can have a long, healthy, and disease-free life.