Do you have an acne problem, and are wondering how you can better care for your skin? There are a lot of acne treatments out there, but you can reduce your dependency on them by improving your skin care. It will not only save you money on acne treatments, but will also improve the effectiveness of the treatments when they are applied. With that thought in mind, here are the top ways that you can care for your skin if you have an acne problem:
- Sunlight: While a suntan can look great, you should stay out of the sunlight for extended periods of time if you have not cured your acne problem. When outdoors wear a hat, and if you want to get a tan on the beach, then make sure to cover your face. Sunlight is bad for acne because it dries out the skin, which causes your skin to peel. That in turn can cause the acne to scar, leaving permanent marks on your face.
- Be gentle with your skin: You should aim to treat your acne like you would with a wound – in a gentle manner. So if you are washing your face make sure that the water is not too hot, or too cold. Don't use any soap that has strong chemicals. Instead go for mild options that are aimed towards sensitive skin. Also when washing your face, or drying it with a towel, do not scrub, because this can cause your acne to scar. An alternative is to gently pat one area at a time.
- Shaving: If you need to shave your face, then you must take your time and be very gentle. Scarring is common if the razor opens up certain types of acne spots. Electric razors are gentler, and therefore are more suited for those who have an acne problem.
- Cosmetics: For girls, one of the sources of acne problems are certain types of cosmetics. If after using, a certain product there is an increased amount of acne, then consider switching to another one. Oil-free cosmetics should be chosen to reduce the chances of cosmetic-induced acne.
- Mild skin scar: If you have a mild skin scar as a result of acne, then just leave it be. Some people try to find a solution in order to help it heal, but it can often make it worse. Mild skin scars can vanish on their own within 4–6 weeks. For help with acne treatment, talk to a professional.